FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ticket cancelled if not through security 90 mins before flight @YYZ??
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:37 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not just United. Here's Delta's "through security" and "at gate" times YYZ. I'm not going to look at the other airlines, but I think UA is just following someone else's rules, not making stuff up. It might not always be enforced, but if it is....

:
IME, that's crazy requiring 90 minutes at YYZ, though I could see it being desired for those who don't have trusted traveller. Like I said, I can often be from curbside to past customs in 10 minutes on a good day.

A note that DL is in a different terminal, so goes through different security/customs. But more than that, looks like this is officially an exception on DL. UA still doesn't make an exception in their published check in requirements. If they're going to require people to be there 90 minutes prior, they not only need to officially make the change, but also publicize the change. Sending a text message a day before isn't going to cut it, especially since there are folks who might not get text updates when they are in a foreign country.

For the record, AA still lists 60 minutes on their check in page, with no exception for YYZ. .https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nd-arrival.jsp. Air Canada also still lists 60 minutes to the US - https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ing-times.html. Thought they do have this note about YYZ departures to the US:

For departures before 10 am, wait times are longer than usual at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canadian Air Transport Security Association (CATSA) pre-board screening. You should arrive at the airport
three (3) hours before your flight's scheduled departure time. Pre-board security screening for departures to the U.S. opens at 4:00 AM.
I'd guess this is just to push people through earlier so they aren't arriving too close to departure at peak times, and to just blanket it to protect themselves. Part of me wonders if its gotten worse lately, and they've seen more people miss flights by cutting it to close.