FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A388 F versus 789 J
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:52 am
cmtlatitudes

A388 F versus 789 J

Due to some medical tests and an overabundance of caution, I reluctantly relinquished my F Award this week on the A388 from LAX to MEL. In anticipation of a good report I've put a couple of Award flights on Hold. The soonest F Award on the 388 across multiple departure and arrival cities is about 3 weeks out. The problem is my Australian itinerary pretty much requires a complete revamp with the new departure date, including likely eliminating some places highest on my list I wanted to go as part of the trip.

There is Award availability a week earlier on Qantas's 789 in J however. For want of a week, everything can be realigned almost seamlessly on my itinerary. Actually in a couple cases better than it was before. The thing is, flying in the F cabin on the 388 was such as big part of the Trip experience for me. Landing that award ticket was the entire impetus for planning the trip. It's hard for me to be enthusiastic about the re-booking to a 789 so I'm dragging my heels on it. Considering trying to wait out the F Award ticket even it means postponing the Australia part of my trip indefinitely. I'll keep stalking an earlier F Award of course in the interim but not holding out a lot of hope. The F cabin is virtually empty many days that would work the earlier week but those F Awards seats aren't being released.

So .... looking for any feedback on how Qantas's two cabin 789 J experience compares to the 388 three cabin F experience? The biggest factors for me being wide and roomy seats and uncramped lie flat position for side-sleeping. Trying to assess whether the F experience and hard product is worth postponing for or will I probably be just as happy with the J experience. Or happy enough anyway. Data points or thoughts anyone?