FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ticket cancelled if not through security 90 mins before flight @YYZ??
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:18 pm
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I just got this text. Not surprised there is already a thread. What I can't understand is how they would somehow enforce this, nor how it is anything resembling reasonable? Also, my wife is on AA later in the day and didn't get the same text.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I know for certain that baggage cutoff for UA at YEG and YYC is 60 minutes.
Yes, the check in cutoff is 60 minutes for US preclearance, though they can get manager approval to go into that time (usually happens when there was a delay in the line at check in and you were there). Of course, no checked bag and OLCI means that isn't really an issue.

Originally Posted by dvo1029
I have global entry and got this message and to be safe I got through immigration with more than 90 minutes (the regular line is always crazy there so surely you do need to arrive 3 hours before to make the flight). The next time I was curious so I tested this so called cutoff and was through immigration with less than 60 minutes before the flight and no issues of boarding whatsoever. I think United should not send a message like this unless factual and they should merely state the facts that immigration lines are very long and you should arrive 3-4 hours early and if not at the gate 15-20 mins before flight time you will not be able to board.
I got this too, with a KTN in the reservation. It is a bit surprising.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
From the way it's worded, I'm sure this has everything to do with the U.S. travel restrictions (which are only going to increase) due to COVID-19.
Sure, though you'd think the Canadians would be more interested in restricting Americans.

Originally Posted by mozilla
LHR has this "conformance" system where they won't even allow you to go through security if you present yourself less than x minutes before departure, no matter if you could still make it. Last year, at the entrance of the fast lane security, I overheard an UA agent pleading the case of an elderly couple that was past conformance time. The LHR security officer gave the UA agent a stern "no" and she sighed and took them back to the check-in desk (presumably) to rebook them, suggesting even the airlines have few if any control over this system.

I'm not a fan of this system and definitely hope YYZ isn't making this a commonwealth thing.
Remember, the UK has the airports, which are stupidly privately owned, handle security. In Canada, where airports are owned by local authorities, they are contractors to a federal government agency. They are not there to serve the airline tenants or airport owners. As long as you haven't missed your flight, they let you in.