Old Mar 1, 20, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,538
Call Alitalia and ask them. You're going to have to do this eventually, and the longer you delay, the fewer recovery options will be available.

Waiting to fix this at the airport, as you seem to favour, is to abandon your parents to the worst possible outcome.

Don't enquire about compensation. Focus on getting your parents rebooked. And besides, if flights are cancelled due to government restrictions, then no compensation will be payable.
irishguy28 is offline