FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canceling and re-booking partner award: online or call?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:58 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enzian

[...]

is there any reason I should not just book the new outbound trip and then cancel the existing booking, all online? We have enough miles to make the new booking without re-deposit of the miles from the cancelled trip. It seems like the quickest and most efficient, but am I missing anything? I assume the phone agent would not be able to waive the change fee.

Thanks for your help. I am feeling a little frazzled with the fast-moving situation ( I won't say the c word) and could use a little reassurance.
Whether online or by phone, your existing reservation can be changed. That will save you the $12.50 partner booking fee over canceling and rebooking plus a new charge for fees & taxes while you await the refund of what you have already paid. Online will follow policy with respect to change/cancel fees and waivers while an agent who has been empowered may offer relief given that you want to change instead of outright cancel. It never hurts to respectfully ask and accept the first response. Your partner Record locator should remain the same after any changes even if to another OW carrier.

I am currently in Sydney and have an award to fly back to LAX next week. I have made 5 changes to my itinerary since I booked it a few months back, including dates, times & carriers. I was originally going to fly PER-HKG-LAX in CX J/F but I am on a Southern Caribbean cruise in less than 3 weeks and would be denied boarding it I transitted HKG. I changed to a QF SYD-BNE-LAX in J/PE for a day earlier than I wanted. 4 hours later a BNE-LAX J opened up on the day I wanted to fly so I changed it again and now flying SYD-BNE-LAX in J/J.

While the $12.50 partner booking fee is non-refundable outside of 24 hours from booking as beckoa mentioned. AS has waived the booking fee for me when the only way to upgrade my J seat to F on one segment of an F award was to completely start fresh and cancel the original award.

I find AS customer service and their agents to be very knowledgeable and proficient. In cases where they are not sure, they always seek assistance or tranfer me to someone who can assist in my specific needs.

I wouldn't hesitate to call AS and ask for assistance with changing your current reservation.

James