FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bitten by guest's dog in Marriott lobby
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:21 pm
deac83

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sigh. My lack of details were more around not having the Marriott mother ship link my user name to me personally.

Walked into lobby after work. Hotel elevators are terrible. One opened as I walked up. Man with dog there waiting and he went into elevator with dog. Not really thinking about it and assuming some one with a 'pet' in a hotel has it under control, I followed to enter the elevator. The owner had the dog on a leash, When I was at the entrance the owner was facing away and the dog he was trying to control was facing me. The dog made a move for my leg, but got the pants. I started rethinking taking the elevator, but then the dog jumped at me and grabbed my hand and bit one of my fingers. After I found three puncture wounds with one deep enough to bleed. Owner did not see the dog bite me. I yelled when it happened and the owner got upset that I was yelling at the dog and told me to get out of the elevator (which I was doing anyway), I told him I was bitten and he just told me to get out. He went up in the elevator with the dog.

I went to the front desk and told them I was just bitten by a guest's dog, who I assumed had just checked in. They said he checked in the day before and called security and his room.

He came back down, without the dog. Expressed no remorse or showed any concern about my injuries (maybe he didn't want to admit liability).

Hotel called the police and paramedics.

Hotel staff did nothing for me until I asked for a bandage or something for the bleeding. They seemed completely unprepared to handle the situation.

Waited for paramedics and police. Police report documenting it. They told me the dog would be quarantined for 10 days (which I learned means the owner has to keep the dog with them for 10 days, no running around in the backyard without a leash etc). Owner has said it has shots and is sending those to the health department which has contacted me. Owner didn't leave hotel until Friday so it will probably be Monday to have confirmation.

Hotel, zero response that night or next day. Never called me to check how I was. As I've said didn't even offer to get me some bandaids (fortunately I carry them plus some antiseptic).

The only significance to he size of the animal is the hotel specifically states not pets over 40 lbs. By their own rules this animal should not have been in the hotel.

Hotel is in NJ, Owner is in PA and I'm in TX.

Hopefully that clarifies any confusion and answers the questions.