FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Trip Protection"
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:14 pm
AeRoSpaceman

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hikouki
Don’t fall into that trap! I used to buy this insurance, (and I’ve asked about this on several threads here in the past). Upon checkout at DL.com, the premium for the trip is cheaper that if you protect retroactively. However, if you buy direct from Allianz, it would end up being cheaper and more cost effective.

Case in point, for a D1 ticket, the price upon checkout at DL would be thereabouts of 275+. If you buy retroactively, it would cost about 386+. Either of those would only protect you for one trip. If you buy direct from Allianz, 275+ would already get you an ANNUAL plan!!!

So I ended up buying an annual plan from Allianz. They did clarify that “epidemics” is not a covered reason. I bought insurance anyway for reasons other than coved. (I’ve lost items or had damaged baggage in the past during some trips and Allianz seems pretty hassle-free so far in terms of claims). Some of the benefits of their plans reset after each trip, even after a claim. I’ve been doing a lot of travel by land lately, so I figured I’d just go ahead and buy the annual plan.

Maybe someone here could recommend an insurance provider that covers cancelation “for any reason”?
I agree with this post. I bought a DL vacations package last summer for a trip this June. At checkout I looked at the insurance price and coverage and I decided against it. My better half said we are buying insurance. Went back to the DL website to purchase it and it would not let me. Called in and was told that after seven days insurance cannot be purchased anymore thru DL. So I went to Allianz website and bought insurance thru them directly. It was a lot cheaper and included more coverage that what was being offered directly by DL.