FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:03 pm
AAir_head

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Nope, young and healthy. Headed to Paris then skiing in Switzerland. Today is the cut-off to cancel my Swiss hotel. Worried that in two weeks the Italian outbreak could spill over into Switz and by then i'll end up eating the hotel and the flights. Was considering pushing the entire trip. In the alternative I may just cancel the hotel and if nothing happens closer in I will rebook, otherwise just forget skiing and stay in Paris.
Whatever credit card you paid with (assuming you used one) may cover you if you end up needing to cancel--check the T&Cs. If trip cancellation is covered, there's always some squishy language to the effect of a situation/condition that 'would prevent a reasonable/prudent person from continuing the trip' or some such.

If you're not outside the window for coverage, you might consider buying trip insurance that will cover nonrefundable travel expenses--several will allow you to buy insurance within a few weeks of your initial purchase for a given trip--if you have enough money at risk, it may be worth it for the peace of mind. That's an individual decision, of course.

Cheers!