FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for elderly travel CMH-LAS
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:37 am
nystateofmind

Originally Posted by Bluesman62
Hi everyone! Looking for some guidance or suggestions on booking flights for my 83 year old father. Planning a RT for him around the week of 4/13 thru 4/24; dates are flexible within those weeks as long as he's here by 4/17 and has a 7-8 night stay. He's not an experienced traveler, so I want to make the connection as simple as possible, and he wants to fly F. Last fall when he made the trip he changed in SLC and said it wasn't too bad, stayed in the same concourse (C) I believe.

I see basically the same itinerary available this April, but I also see an option thru ATL, 1438/8812 or 2419/8812, that has lie-flats on the ATL-LAS leg. I think he'd find that experience pretty cool. But that far out I can't see the arrival and departure gates/concourses at ATL, and I really don't want him to have to find and ride the train. Oh, and those flights aren't on the current schedule, so I can't see where they're berthing now.

Can any of the sages here offer insight or helpful commentary on the SLC or the ATL options? Thanks much!
If a widebody you are leaving out of T, A, E, or F. I would look at current schedules for CMH-ATL to see where they are arriving into. During that same time period I see a 767 operating DTW-LAS (DL8819 on at least April 14). Even if you have to change concourses it is not as bad as Atlanta and a better shot that everything will all be in the same concourse.

Editing to say that on the same hypothetical day a 767 is also on MSP-LAS flight (DL8798). All of the mainline concourses in MSP are connected (and CMH-MSP is mainline) so you won't have to worry about going up and down stairs or taking a train. That being said, some connections are a bit far.

Last edited by nystateofmind; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:42 am