FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:58 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is eminently sensible to enter (and, if relevant, exit) a country on your passport of citizenship of that country. It avoids potential visa/overstay issues. More importantly, why would a citizen and passport holder of a particular country not enter that country with his appropriate passport?
People are lazy
My elder brother couldn't even be arsed to properly maintain one. Not only it took his wife, but me and mother to electronically reach down under and kick his axx before he condescended to visit an Australian Post outlet during opening hours (Australian passport renewals must be accepted by an Australia Post postmaster, APO officer or consulate officer if overseas)

And also, even if someone has taken the trouble to obtain multiple passports
Sometimes its administratively cumbersome to use the second one - maybe because of non-identical names.

I have an "Uncle" and "Auntie" - friends of mother's - who I help buy Asia Miles and ticket redemptions for to/from Vancouver
They have has different names for HKSAR (just their Chinese names) and Canadian (includes their Christian names, and Auntie uses married name as surname).

Their principal Asia Miles account names are their HKSAR names
Initially I ticketed under their HKSAR names, and they travelled as HKSAR to Canada despite being Canadian citizens and passport holders (just never showed Canadian passports), and CBSA didn't give them any trouble (pre-eTA)

But after eTA started being imposed on HKSAR passports, we really decided to ticket using their Canadian names.

This isn't new for Asia Miles, I am allowed to file alias names for Uncle and Auntie.
But every time I try to ticket with their Canadian names, I have to call in.
And I get pushback from Asia Miles agents, to the extent that one of them hung up on me
I also got an agent last year who managed to ticket Auntie's Canadian given names and (HKSAR) maiden surname (an impossibility since this isn't the principal name or alias)

Originally Posted by LondonElite
My children have triple citizenships, yet travel regularly to all three countries on only one passport. The have lived in two of the countries but, again, have only ever used a single passport. With four children, and passports expiring earlier, these fees add up!
If you don't mind me asking, how did your children live in the second country with only one passport?
Some sort of declaratory visa on the first (Australia and New Zealand allow citizens to obtain citizen declaratory visas on their foreign passports for Australian/New Zealand re-entry. I think Australia's is harder to obtain than New Zealand's)?