FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:31 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by percysmith
OK. You perked up my interest to actually look up the 1930 treaty:

Text: http://eudo-citizenship.eu/Internati...ULL%20TEXT.pdf
Ratifiers: https://treaties.un.org/Pages/LONVie...r=30&clang=_en

You're right, probably not enforced outside the 20
(Did Canada denounce the 1930 treaty on 15 May 1996?!)

We shouldn't look at the 1930 treaty as the source of the Master Nationality Rule
We're down to local laws [see footnote].

Well not explicitly.

But by accepting the other state's passport for entry, the accepting state may be implicitly accepting the other state's request to afford the bearer "every assistance and protection" (Australian)/"such assistance and protection" (UK) as stated in the passport note? This may put the accepting state in a moral quandary even if not a strict legal one.

Furthermore it may put the accepting state in breach of consular treaties, unless it has explicit renunciation of dual nationality e.g. https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publicat...19-English.pdf

(I misread) exit no.

jazzsax probably did nothing wrong in law.

I wonder will CBSA have some red flags against his Jamaican passport for entry (how come this passport has exit records but no entry?)
But I suspect CBSA will never be presented the passport for entry, as jazzsax will present his Canadian passport for entry all the time.

===

[Footnote - side track]

i) USA enforces Master Nationality Rule even though it is not a 1930 treaty signatory

ii) I'm more familiar with the Australian and HK case as both enforce the rule and are 1930 signatories

iii) PRC is not a 1930 treaty signatory but enforce Master Nationality Rule in a big way - to the extent they demanded Canadians they suspect to be Chinese citizens to obtain China Travel Documents to proceed to China

iv) ROC is the 1930 China signatory but they disclaimed Article 4.
And I think they mean it - I am treated as an Australian in Taiwan, even though I can also be treated as a ROC Citizen outside Mainland Area.
I think we broadly agree on most things.

It is eminently sensible to enter (and, if relevant, exit) a country on your passport of citizenship of that country. It avoids potential visa/overstay issues. More importantly, why would a citizen and passport holder of a particular country not enter that country with his appropriate passport? To make some sort of statement? To try and be clever/invisible? There are no good clean reasons. The US requires entry on a US passport, this is true, but I know plenty of Americans who enter on one of their other passports. I honestly don't know why. And the US can't deny them entry if they can prove US citizenship. Bizarre, I know.

My children have triple citizenships, yet travel regularly to all three countries on only one passport. The have lived in two of the countries but, again, have only ever used a single passport. With four children, and passports expiring earlier, these fees add up!