FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:37 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kumagoro
However, again the link refers to "carrying both passports". My son, due to Japanese law, is not able to get a Canadian passport issued. As soon as he does, he is in contravention of Japanese law and puts himself in danger of losing Japanese citizenship. If airport security or customs in Japan were to discover his Canadian passport (should he somehow obtain one) he would also be in potential legal trouble. Hence the Catch-22. To apply for special authorization, again he needs two passports.

A dual citizen without a Canadian passport is in legal limbo and not permitted to enter Canada if they are unable to get a Canadian passport before they travel. The Canadian government, and by extension Air Canada, is putting such people in a really difficult position. They basically have to choose which country's law to break if they want to travel.
How is Air Canada or even the Canadian government putting your son in a difficult position? Is he not already breaking Japanese law by remaining a Canadian citizen? Even if there's no penalty, you say "[i]n Japan the law says that a person must choose a citizenship by age 22 and renounce any other citizenship than Japanese".

If he obeyed Japanese law and renounced his Canadian citizenship, the Canadian government would no long require him to enter Canada on a Canadian passport and AC would only ask him for an eTA with his Japanese passport.

As far as I can tell, the only organization putting your son in a difficult position in the Japanese government with their policy of only having one citizenship.