FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:50 pm
FLYGVA
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I would not be too concerned in regard to your destinations.

I am in Asia and even here is - as mentioned by others - the situation very different. In Taiwan, not wearing a mask in public is the exception. Put aside the usefull / uselessness of wearing a mask, I wear one myself. Especially in crowded undergrounds. In hotels, staff is wearing masks, but most guests do not. But I think this is mandatory right now for them. Some hotels (like the Hilton) put a plastic cover over button ins elevators to easier clean them. Sanitizer bottles were placed in all public places and on every floor.

In Singapore, is was quite different. Not many people wear them in public places. Kuala Lumpur was the same with the only difference that sanitizer were less frequently available in the hotels on floors and in public places.

Staff tend to wear mask as front desk, but not in the exceutive lounge unless doing food services.

In planes, all TG flight attendants wore mask on BKK - TPE. No masks for MH flight attendants on KUL - TPE and KUL - SIN vv. Some wear mask in Economy on TPE - KUL (Business load was low on all flights).
If you want to be on the save side, use a sanitary nap to clean tray tables, seats and button of inlifght entertainment system, scree, seat adjustments. But this could also be a general advice. I wore a mask on KUL - TPE, but given that the air was chilly, that was simply to avoid a cold myself. One passengers wore mask, gloves and cleaned the area around his seat with a packet of sanitizers naps before taking the seat. But he ate without gloves, which made his efforts in my eyes a bit useless.

To sum up - enjoy your travel, just be a bit more carefull it it comes to touching things and your face afterwards with your hand. And do not overreact. Personally, dying on the way to the airport in a car accident is still at a higher risk than getting infected by Coronavirs. But that is of course my own personal point of view.