FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:17 am
tuonopepper

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
We have a few flights coming up but I am getting a bit worried about travel with regard to coronavirus. The first question is should we be travelling at all? None of our travel is essential (all leisure) but they are all on non-refundable tickets and to places that are not particularly affected. Cancelling will cost us quite a bit and as it would be voluntary cancellation it won't be covered by insurance. The issue is that travel put you into close proximity of others. If we do travel should we be wearing masks? All the time? What about in the lounges and on the aircraft?

We have some travel next week (LGW, AMS, EDI, GLA), some towards the end of March (LGW,TIA) and some at the end of April (LHR, ORD).

What are people's thoughts especially with regard to the wearing of masks around the airport, in BA lounges and on aircraft? Are you doing it?

I have to be honest... we are confused as to what to do right now.

Note to Mods:
Sorry if this is not in the right forum. I am particularly interested in those using BA lounges and flying BA as we fly almost exclusively BA. If I posted in a more general forum then the replies would not be so relevant. Thanks
Having just done 4 flights for our family Ski holiday I'd say just carry on as normal. There were a few people kicking around the airports (MAN/LHR and SOF) wearing masks, but they were very much the minority and even less on the planes themselves.

My view here is that unless you're due to visit what would be regarded as a high risk area then carry on as normal, your probably still more likely to die in a car crash on route to the airport than from Coronavirus.

The only other thing I'd be thinking twice about right now would be a cruise tbh, life's too short and a lot of this is in the hands of fate really. I'm considering postponing a work trip to Delhi, Coronavirus is 25% in the reasoning for that, there's other factors too. It's not about catching but as the Indian authorities are getting more worried about it I'd rather not risk getting quarantined there if I show up with a common cold.