View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2020, 2:08 am
ph-ndr

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Hello to my fellow QR PC member
Ni hao!

I guess you must be traveling these few days to BKK? The SINBKK flight was canx. begining Feb. 20 which was the date I got to BKK. I was originally going to book CX but since it was a short trip, & I needed a late afternoon flight back to SIN so I didn't - ended up flying with SQ - the return flight is a bit later than I wanted but that was fine to avoid any traffic
I ended up taking SQ up, it worked just fine, it's limited how much a 2 hour flight can go wrong.

Which now seems to be moot coz it's been very quite at the airports, on board & on the BTS/ARL & it seems the streets aren't as crowded with cars as before
The only thing is that there are tons of Chinese at my hotel, and on the streets - the hotel is 95% full (it was also my guess) but the staff said that they are stuck here coz' they can't go home or to where they were planning to due to quarantine laws etc.

I have nicknamed the hotel b/fast dining room as the GREAT PRC dining hall
I noticed the airport in BKK was much quieter than usual for a midday arrival, but not nearly as abandoned as SIN (or even Singapore downtown in general).

My hotel has a contingent of chinese, luckily they don't get up for breakfast when I do (before 06:00), but I've run across a few during daytime and they are as obnoxious and annoying as the stereotypical mainland tourists are made out to be. I ran into the property GM and have let him know that I represent an insignificant portion of his revenue but I'm very democratic minded with voting with my wallet.

As for flying SIN-HKG-BKK, my advice is don't do it - I did BKK-HKG-SIN last month & it was pretty long & tiring. Although I managed to get a cabana room for 90 mins. & had time to sit down in the dining room for a meal - I wouldn't do it again. Esp. now that parts of the airport are closed & one of the F lounges too - the one which I have not had a chance to visit & I was planning to do it next week otw to EWR ..
That is why I kinda halfway pondered accepting SIN-HKG-BKK, until I read that the fun lounges were all closed and catering scaled back to a pot of bird seed to share.

-A