FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC messed up our flight due to SSSS mistake
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:35 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seaskybound
My SO got SSSS'd, no big deal of course. After security, we went to the AC and asked for and received an SDC (no charge as an EXP). They took our BPs, tore them up and gave us the new ones.

At boarding, we could not board as they had to see the original SSSS'd BP. We did not know that you have to have original SSSS'd BP (that is signed and punched) as proof to GA that SSSS was OK. They tried to call security to get clearance. An AA supervisor was called, they tried to get TSA over, but had to close the flight and we missed it. SO went through security again chaperoned by apologetic AA supervisor

Went back to the AC they were actually unapologetic (four of them sitting in a very quiet time of day) and just said, we are not GAs how can we know that rule? (Some apologies and compassion would have been the more appropriate response...)

Is it common knowledge that you must hold on to an SSSS'd BP?

How can AC agents, that handle seat and flight changes all the time not know that rule?
Encountering SSSS boarding passes at ACs in the US isn’t all that common, although eventually they should see it. And those that they do encounter are mostly for passengers who are connecting and already originated the day’s travel at airports outside of the US on the same itinerary and had already been cleared to fly on the itinerary and flew earlier in the day.

Gate agents who encounter SSSS boarding passes in the US are supposed to make sure the presented boarding pass indicates that the passenger has been subjected to SSSS screening and cleared by TSA or, if the passenger has originated travel on the same itinerary that day from another airport, see the other boarding pass or ticket indicates having been cleared by the TSA and having flown already and just connecting. If they don’t see any such indication, such SSSS passengers are not to be allowed to board the flight until the TSA clears them as SSSS passengers.

As a sort of hoarder of paper, I would be unlikely to end up in a situation like the OP’s even as I used to get my share of SSSS boarding passes for flights on trips where I originated abroad.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 21, 2020 at 11:52 am