FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, United Kingdom [Master Thread]
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:49 pm
FarFetched1219

Programs: British Airways Gold; Avianca Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador
Talking Tits are optional

Originally Posted by Paren
Possibly one of the worst properties I've stayed at. Glad I only stayed for 1 night.

Pros:
- It was a convenient location for my meeting
- Convenient location for rugby fans
- Somewhat modernised room

Cons:
- At check in, I was informed I would have to pay for breakfast. I asked if a Platinum Premier Elite was not eligible for breakfast, and he said he 'forgot' to check the system for my status
- At check in, I was informed there were no suites available for an upgrade, though a quick search online showed suites available to purchase. Hence I received a standard room with a view of nothing but concrete walls
- I needed to print some documents off. I was informed that due to a rugby match at the weekend (keeping in mind I was there on Friday), they had put all the computers away. These are otherwise usually in reception. There is no lounge either apparently. Therefore I had to email my (somewhat sensitive) documents the reception for them to print it off for me
- Breakfast was ok, not brilliant, but at least they did a full English. However, hash browns were left for too long outside and not fresh etc.
- This is the first property I stayed at which charges for cappuccino at breakfast. Only standard tea/coffee are available with breakfast at no extra cost and even with that they don't ask you if you want it topping up etc
- F&B manager openly shouting at serving staff at breakfast in front of everyone
- WiFi in the lobby is free, but in the room it tries to charge you. I went to reception and they said I am indeed eligible for free WiFi in the room and then gave me the access code upon request, though I wish they would have given this info at check in
Just checked in. I've booked a few pre-pay stays for the coming months. My thoughts:
Staff seem nice. Clean. Not particularly convenient in terms of transport to central, but fine.
Had the Marriott Burger room service - it was very good and they made it Gluten Free and cooked the chips fresh for me.

Main downside: utterly, bewilderingly odd culture of non-elite recognition.
- My Tit upgrade was a "Skyline room" when there were many suites still showing on the app. To be fair I pushed for a Suite and they promptly gave me the Superior Suite. It's nice and spacious. Quite dated. One phone - in the bedroom (must be borrowing from the Moxy model Talking).
- I asked about the Lounge and was informed that they don't have one, but that it would be ok as they would give me breakfast...I enquired why there was no evening canapes or drinks in the main bar to perhaps compensate for this fact. The response seemed to suggest that elite benefits were optional. But not to worry, I could have a shiny 750 points or a breakfast instead. I initially confused this with the welcome gift, which left me a bit exasperated, but realised it was on top of it.

I wouldn't avoid this hotel if the price is right, but lack of elite recognition is definitely going to make me think twice about booking here again. Very odd.