FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 16 Feb : BA Heathrow operations disrupted : Systems failures
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:34 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rhysflies
anyone know what this means for EU261? Over the 2 hour delay, but since this is an airport problem and not a BA problem can I still get compensation?
Firstly you need to be 3 hours late arriving before compensation becomes in contention (but 2 hours late departure for refreshments / right to care on short services). If it turns out to be HAL's fault - which is what I'm reading here - then that's outside BA's control. BA still need to take all reasonable measures to minimise your delay.

If you wanted to make a stand: a senior court might, might, take the view that HAL is BA's supplier here and BA can ping the cost on to HAL. By no means a certain outcome! The other option, perhaps more interesting, is if you demand directly from HAL that they refund (e.g.) half or all their £17.41 Passenger Service Charge under the Consumer Rights Act, on the basis of poor quality workmanship. I'd really like someone to try that!