FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:21 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovestache
Tell me you have not felt bad about unused GPU's/RPU's.
I can tell you that, as I've never had any expire. Nor have I ever sold any, although I've given some to family.

Its not that these people trying to sell them are trying to intentionally trying to defraud the airline.
If they weren't trying to defraud the airline, they wouldn't put up wink-wink posts about "advice" along with a "free" GPU. Later you state that you thought UA was OK with it, but if they were OK with it, wouldn't people have just posted "selling an upgrade?" There wouldn't be any point to the charade.

Also, cheating would be if I got more than the 6 GPUs given out to 1k's. I was just using the 6 given to me (in return for the 100k miles flown and the $12k funds). So I fail to understand that other members will benefit. Infact look at it this way - if the GPU is sold most likely to a regular member, they are at the bottom of the upgrade list - so the 1ks and GS will never have any competition against them since their upgrade will clear first.
I suppose that depends upon how good your "advice" is. I've only ever waitlisted one long-haul flight, and that was P->F on LH. (It cleared, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it didn't). If someone buys an instrument and clears into confirmable space, it can absolutely affect a passenger with higher status later.