FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS + AA "West Coast International Alliance" Separate From oneworld
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:37 pm
ashill

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The problem being if AA elites are cluttering the comp upgrade lists for transcons/midcons/west coast flights and AS elites can't get comp upgrades for flights over 500 miles (basically, that's intra-CA flights, LAX-LAS or SoCal-PHX from AS hubs, zero from SEA/PDX)... that's not really an equitable situation. Why does either airline need to give F upgrades to the other? Just do Premium Class/Main Cabin Extra/exit row for free. That'd be fine (and in line with the state things were up through 2016).

(I scored a random DL upgrade on MSP-PHL back in the day of AS elite reciprocity. Uh, OK? The difference is DL never had 500 milers.)

Also, given how elite-light SFO/LAX transcons/midcons are, there's a real risk AS would suck out AA elites who figure "free upgrade to recliner F on AS beats no upgrade to lie-flat or recliner F on AA". As such, you want to avoid that; so don't upgrade past MCE/PC, problem solved (and AS elites end up just like OW elites).
The way it worked with AS/DL was all DL elites were after all AS elites. So an AS MVP gets upgraded before a DL Diamond. Can’t imagine it would be any different, so an AA elite wouldn’t take a upgrade away from an AS elite (assuming they appropriately hold back space for last minute purchases and changes as necessary). But I also agree that this isn’t all that likely and isn’t necessary.

We used to do fairly well on upgrades from MSN-MSP on NW/DL (traveling on non-Epic days!) when my partner was an AS MVP (and my status was with AA). It wasn’t uncommon for her to get upgraded (MVPs didn’t get companion upgrades) and have an empty seat next to her; several times a flight attendant came back to me in coach after takeoff and said “Mr. [spouse’s surname], would you like to come up front?” I learned to be happy to be addressed by her surname!