FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS + AA "West Coast International Alliance" Separate From oneworld
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:21 pm
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
I think one of the major questions is what kind of codeshare agreement. For example, it used to be (before AA entered the market) that you could get AA*/AS flights on routes like LAX-SEA for competitive fares; the AA code would occasionally even be cheaper than the AS code on the AS metal flight. Now AA I believe won't sell you an AA*/AS at all without an AA-operated segment, and even on flights serving markets that neither carrier serves alone (eg EAT/YLW-SEA-CLT, or EAT/YLW-SEA-ORD-MSN, for two that I've priced out a lot recently and found it basically can't be done), codeshare flights are exorbitantly expensive. So AS simply being in oneworld doesn't tell us everything. The question is will they actually want customers to use each other's flights when it makes sense and thus price codeshares competitively, or will they continue to make it quite difficult to actually benefit from their cooperation? This kind of marketing that is a bit independent of simply meeting the minimum they're required to because both airlines are in oneworld makes me cautiously optimistic.

And of course the SEA-BLR flight goes well beyond normal alliance partner codesharing; that's route planning that is almost entirely dependent on having a partner with a SEA hub.
True, there are alliance members and then there are BFF's within alliances. Can't speak for OW, but there's no denying that at Star and Sky there are metal neutral JV's within the alliances which are priced by either operator at the same price and also placed in their flight search at equal importance to their own metal flight:
United + AC
United + Lufthansa (Including sub.)
United + ANA

Delta + AF/KLM
Delta + VS
Delta + KE

For AA to start flights to London and India using their own metal, I think they would need some sort of BFF within an alliance thing going for AA to start such flights out of one of their non-hub/focus city such as SEA. Maybe AA's Asia strategy could be better if they had a hub in Seattle which was being fed by Alaska. Essentially do what Delta is doing but leverage Alaska's dominance at SEA.