FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ridiculous China Waiver Policy
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:32 am
giorginho

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Well, I do think you have been rather harsh in your judgement; in any event, I can tell you that there was no availability for my trip at the time I cancelled, so, if anything, I opened up space for someone else to use, and did so as soon as it was clear I could not travel.
My point was (pretty much exactly like you described it) that this award space could (or should) have been available during the time it was reserved by (in this instance) you, instead of it opening up last-minute, but OK, I was aiming at providing some food for thought for everyone here, since I've been reading quite a few comments and in every thread possible about cancelled award tickets that it becomes apparent that many people cancel a considerable amount of tickets, just because they can, which they booked just because they could (hence the "harsh judgement"). It can take some (myself included) even years of accumulating miles to reach the amount required for that dream trip, if it takes years to find suitable availability then that's more like "years lost".
Disclaimer: This doesn't go out to people cancelling flights for the reasons described in this specific topic (or similar).