FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Outlet Adapters
Thread: Outlet Adapters
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:26 am
lipoff

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
Outlet Adapters

I've always liked the idea of carrying universal outlet adapter, if only so that I don't get tempted to remove ones I don't need for a specific trip from my bag and then be unable to find them later!

I have a number of those "boxy" universal style adapters, but I've never liked them. Admittedly, I often get them for free, but I don't think it's a "you get what you pay for" issue. They are too bulky to carry, they are too bulky to insert into some sockets, their geometry can be awkward, and they often break. Most recently one that I have developed an overactive spring that likes to expel whatever I try to plug into it, except for an Australia/New Zealand style plug. I do like that they often have an integrated USB outlet or two, and that they can accept any plug - most often I need to convert my US plugs to a foreign outlet, but once or twice it's been handy to accept a universal plug.

I think this is the best universal style adapter, although it can get a little large in the UK style or US/Aus/NZ confirmations:

However, more recently I've found something even smaller, simpler and cheaper:

You may think that this only converts from US to EU, and you wouldn't be wrong, but it's not the whole story either. If you depress the ground pin of a UK-style outlet, you can insert an EU plug directly into it. (I'm sure there's a Brexit metaphor in there somewhere). You can depress the pin with a tool - the Phillips screwdriver of my 58mm Swiss Army Knife works perfectly, or with another kind of adapter:

I still carry the Kikkerland adapter because it packs so flat, the EU adapter has adjustable spacing and it can be used with the Aus/NZ plugs that are often found in China, but I find that the even simpler US to EU adapter solves 95% of my issues, enabling me to use US, EU and UK outlets with my US style plugs. They cost a dollar or two only. Note that even the Kirkland adapter can't accept a UK plug, but it can adapt to a UK outlet.