Old Feb 14, 20, 8:20 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 View Post
Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, Delta Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Surpass, Bonvoy Brilliant, Bonvoy

Priorities - earning points on dining spend, travel benefits, earning Delta status, earning points on hotel spend (mainly Marriott, occasional Hilton)

Look at replacing Plat with Schwab Plat. It adds a 1.25 cent cash out option. Look into getting the Blue Biz card, thatís a straight 2x everywhere. Hilton Surpass is redundant, either downgrade to the free one or upgrade to Aspire (downgrade to free one is probably better for you), and drop Bonvoy Brilliant either completely or downgrade to Bonvoy. Iíd rather have 2x 35K certs than 1 35K and 1 50K cert.

Drop Delta Reserve, largely duplicated with Plat. Companion cert is like a timeshare to use, a PITA. Even Delta Plat is questionable. Amex Gold has value for dining, but downgrading to Green gains 3x travel and loses just 1x on dining. For domestic, Blue Biz plus largely outperforms both as it is free and a default 2X. Delta status miles and dollars are easy to rack up with a partner premium economy mileage run that is relatively cheap.
If you are looking for a 2% cash back card, citi doublecash is a good card and has no annual fee. I received a promo offer last year where if I opened up a Citi savings account (return for the first year on the savings account with the promo rate was decent these days), I receive 2.5 percent cash back through 12/31/20. Nice thing with the Citi card is the cash back is available the day after the statement closes and the direct deposit usually hits my checking account with a different bank the day after I cash out the points.

The other nice thing is MC is accepted at more places than Am Ex.
The chase sapphire could be another good card for you if you have a lot of dining and travel charges. If you use the points for travel it's 4.5 percent back on all dining and travel and the travel category is very broad and includes parking and Uber and public transit charges.