FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iberia cancellation (LGW to MAD) without notice
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:54 am
craigthemif
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uksergio
Thank you SK AAR!

How do you know for sure it was due to fog? I mean, is there any official source that shows this information? Iberia was not able to tell me, even if the BA assistant did suggest it might have been due to fog.

It was not the first available flight to Madrid but one that allowed me enough time to get to the other airport, which I had to pay for myself. Even if not 100% obliged to pay for compensation for cancellations due to weather conditions, I believe there should be compensation due to the fact that they did not comply with my right to information, as per, again, EU law. They had an obligation to keep me informed, which they did not.

It would be good to perhaps check whether any other flights were cancelled or delayed around my departure time from Gatwick, so if any other flights went ahead, that means my flight could have also departed and the company would be liable to compensate me.
It's no use checking which flights departed Gatwick, as the IB Express plane will have needed to have flown up from MAD and ATC could have easily told them no. You are almost certainly going to end up in an extraordinary circumstances excuse unless you can somehow prove that the airplane went tech in MAD.

You are due duty of care, which would be reimbursement of the transfer costs between LGW and LHR plus any additional meals, etc.

Otherwise you can take them to court or to one of the newspapers. In a different case, BA have repeatedly refused to pay me EU261 compensation for failing to notify me (via an OTA) of a flight cancellation. I dumped it onto a vulture claims firm and I'm still waiting for resolution 6 months later. Not really worth the effort IMO.