FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC pilots using the term "our company"
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:30 pm
cooleddie

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I think everybody on the plane would grasp the concept of having an operations team. I also think that referring to your company in conversations away from work is miles different than referring to it when at work, talking to customers. I agree with the OP, in that it's weird, distant terminology. I don't believe it's emblematic of a cultural rift between the pilot group and the wider employee base, but it's a funny term to use.
Pilots do indeed receive basic scripts for PA announcements. They're not all mandatory, nor as rigid and formal as those given by flight attendants, (which mainly must adhere to regulatory requirements), but it's no coincidence they all say the same insipid "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" and "we know you have many travel options and we appreciate you choosing Air Canada" or some such thing.
Yup that was my thinking. But if this is their daily lingo then ok. It's just weird terminology for a non ATC guy. You'd think they would say "our ground crew team" or something a bit more collegial than refering to the corporation.