FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting in SFO
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:05 pm
dhuey
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by WillTins3
I've never had issues with delays or missed flights before so if I did watch the day of departure closely and I showed up to LAX earlier than planned, do gate agents typically try and accomodate at no charge or would they try and hit me up for change fees to put me on the flight that departs an hour earlier?
My experience with airlines generally is that they are willing to put you on earlier flights, free of charge, if your flight is delayed (or likely to be delayed) and there's space on the earlier flight. Your case is particularly strong when you are at risk for missing your connections, which United would then have to re-book. United might even have to pay for your hotel/food if they are responsible for the delay (not if weather is the reason, though).

You could make your case to the gate agents at the earlier flight, the customer service center at LAX or the call-in reservations line. I would try to work this out before checking your bag, and that might blow the deal for changing flights.