FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Restricting Velocity membership
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:06 am
flyingcpa

Hi,

I signed up with both Delta and Virgin Australia ffp's. Trying to figure out how best to get Gold status with one of them. Right now I have Delta Silver status and need approx 11k MQMs to maintain Silver into 2021. I have no status or status credits with Velocity yet this year. I have the following return flights I'm looking at for 2020:
YYZ-LAS in prem economy
YYZ-FCO in biz class
YYZ-BNE in biz class

I think if i book DL for the first one, Alitalia for the second one, and for the last one would book separately with each DL (YY-LAX) and VA (LAX-BNE) that I would reach Gold status with VA this year (800 status credits). I'm not sure about the eligible sectors though. I think DL and Alitalia ticketed flights may not could towards the eligible sectors requirement. This is what i found in the codeshare small print on the VA website:"You can earn Eligible Sectors when you fly on any VA operated flight that begins with a VA flight number and does not include Reward Seats.
For example, a one-way Economy flight (Freedom fare) from Sydney to Melbourne will earn you 25 Status Credits and 1 Eligible Sector. If you were to take a one-way Economy flight with Etihad from Sydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi (Flex fare), you would earn 140 Status Credits in total (80 + 60), plus up to 2 Eligible Sectors if it is a VA codeshare flight."

If the flights with Alitalia for the YYZ-FCO flights wouldn't count as eligible sectors, I could definitely cover off the 2 sectors I'd be missing by flying to MEL or SYD while in BNE.
With DL I worked it out to almost 40k MQMs. Still shy of Gold by just over 10k MQMs.

Anyone know if the flights on Alitalia would count towards the sector requirement?

Don't want to fly Air Canada for the YYZ-BNE trip but that's all that seems available on the VA app and website.

Thanks!