Old Feb 12, 20, 6:47 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Thanks for this thoughtful post. I do like Amex as a bank - they have done a good amount for me in terms of exceptions and such. So I don’t mind keeping a lot of cards with them and giving them most of my spend

1) I do use the MQM boost, so that is important to me
2) My first annual fee is the Hilton card, which I will likely cancel. I will wait on the regular Bonvoy until
the fall
2) I feel like I need one “points” card - to me those are Amex Gold, and two non Amex cards I have (CSR and Citi Premier). Another card that theoretically would fit here would be Delta Platinum. But I don’t really see the benefit of giving up on 4x dining. Amex Green may make sense on a standalone basis as a Clear customer

Given how much I travel, ~$2,000 in total fees may be worth it for now

Edit - also, me and Mrs Adelphos like to fly F from JFK to the West Coast - this is my first year with the Reserve, but I can see us getting a lot of value out of that F companion pass
I think the Hilton aspire is well worth it. Even though I earn diamond without the card, between the $250 airline credit and the $250 resort credit (which is easy to use going to vegas) and the free room it more than pays for the $450 annual fee, not to mention all the bonus points at Hilton. My only complaint with this card is I wish they would people who earn diamond another benefit.

If you fly from JFK on Delta a lot, the reserve card is worth keeping. The skyclub is very nice and if you don't have a regular Am Ex platinum you'll also have centurion lounge access when that club finally opens in T4