FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on traveling by train vs. plane
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2020, 2:55 pm
MalFr

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Originally Posted by Nayli
All of your reasons for focusing on a longer rail trip are appealing, MalFr—particularly the point about not having to worry about turbulence, which terrifies me.

If I can get my luggage down to a single backpack, a rail trip would be incredibly appealing. I am determined to keep myself to carryon luggage but will likely have a small roller bag and a backpack and would not want to lug that around while trying to enjoy a city for an afternoon. I am not a very experienced traveler (this is probably obvious by now, ha). Are there good and safe options for securing luggage during a rail stopover that may not include an overnight stay?
I think most of the major stations across Europe have some kind of left luggage storage - either an office or lockers - but you'd have to check.
I've never personally used any of them, but did help a Japanese colleague try to use the coin lockers at Brussels Midi last year and it took a few attempts to find a working one. Not a major issue, just took a little time and patience.
If you're spending just "an afternoon" , it may help to plan your route to choose stations that are close to where you want to visit, that has the facilities you need.

Mal