FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I accidentally bought a ticket for my infant
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:42 am
HawaiiSailor

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I 'd keep the seat for the infant and do 2 behind 2. I have gotten a single person CPU in cases like this, because of the way they break the PNR. Funny thing is, I did not have any trouble getting the person who got put in my former E seat to trade for my new F seat.
We do the same but with both of the adults as GS we usually have one pair of seats confirmed in F through one paid ticket and a GS companion biz saver, then 2nd pair in coach on award tickets with waitlisted plus point upgrades. When only one of the 2 upgrades clears we’d also have to refuse the upgrade or give the F seat to the Y passenger, but probably lose the pluspoints (which is a calculated risk we are ok with). But when both clear, which has happened a few times recently, we then have all 4 in F but with 2 F seats non-adjacent, which doesn’t work for small children.

In one case in SFO the gate agent immediately sprang into action paging the right other passengers to ask them to swap seats for us. In another case at MCO the gate agent seemed really put off by that and said “usually people on the upgrade list aren’t so picky” and was starting to try to downgrade us back to coach. I said “don’t worry we’ll sort it out aboard” and told him other agents have dealt with it with a smile. He begrudgingly started paging the other passenger and quickly resolved it.

So my question is, what’s the right etiquette here? Don’t list for the upgrade if we’re going to be picky about sitting next to our infant? Board early and sort it out aboard? Or have the gate agent deal with it?