FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ALL Gold Member Overcharged - Sofitel Los Angeles
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:58 pm
gibosity

Programs: AAP Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Rewargds, Qantas FF, United Club
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I guess I don't see the problem. It sucks to have the price of something drop after you've purchased, but doesn't it work that way with most things? Hotel rates go up and down with demand. So do airline ticket prices. So do car rentals. I always book flexible rates on my hotels, because I figure the price can drop, and it often does fluctuate a lot after purchasing, and when I see it drop, I rebook at the lower rate. I don't expect an airline to kick me money back when the ticket price drops any more than I expect a hotel to do the same. It would great if they did, but I certainly wouldn't expect it from any vendor.

A fair point. Unless the loyalty program you're part of promises the best rates, and gives a guarantee that you'll get the best price. I wouldn't expect an airline or hotel to give me a refund either, but when this happens frequently (it isn't the first time), to someone that gives the brand alot of business, the question has to be asked "Is there REALLY a best price guarantee?" And what's the point of loyalty if the reward is minimal or non-existent.

Clearly all hotels factor in the potential for lower prices if demand isn't there, so it drops closer to the date. Shouldn't loyalty members have access to this rate early? Wouldn't be that hard to do. Essentially, those who regularly give their business to a particular brand are asked to gamble on getting the best price, like everyone else. A little certainty isn't too much to ask.