FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation- Major collapse of AA coming in next year due to IT?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:16 am
GunsOfNavarone

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
What is ascribed to poor IT is, in reality, real-time IT providing accurate information in the moment.

The inbound timing is a valuable tool most of the time but is subject to change. As others note, when you see the departure time holding but the arrival time of the inbound steadily delayed, you can bet that OPS is looking at an aircraft sub. If the sub can be finalized, the incoming data will update or disappear. If it can't, the delay will post.

The suggestion of a "collapse" is fear-mongering. Nothing more.
You could be right. But I would not take that bet.

What I am seeing in your "real time" is numerous IT errors/ concerns, across the mobile app, the web app, and AAs internal intranet. It is a deflection to suggest it is about delayed flights, real time updates. Those are not the center of gravity of what I am seeing, as someone on AA planes for eight plus flights a week.

I am seeing a smartphone app that loses flights (have to enter RL to find the flight), loses same day flight change feature, on and on. Can't complete a smartphone check in, can't display boarding passes. Seeing less but like issues on their web-site. But most concerning- is the customer service agents appear to have IT issues also- and are having to use their phones to fix problems. Something is cooking and is not looking so good.

Just a hour ago, had to go to boarding agent at ORF to get boarding passes, as mobile app would not provide it (not even tell me if I was checked in). Another long wait, as the agents had to call some call center to get PAX rebooked. They were unable to get it done just using their internal intranet. In my case, I was in fact checked in, but the smartphone app said I was not, and kept providing the check in icon. I took a picture (vague to not show clear faces) of the AA agents on the phone to try and rebook PAX. Same thing I saw in DFW Wednesday and TPA yesterday.