FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does $450 Brilliant make more sense than two $95 Bonvoys?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:19 am
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by LAX
I am no expert when it comes to hotel programs, but it depends what type of properties you typically stay. 35K eligible properties are not terribly hard to find if you are not picky about quality or prime location. You get 2 nights at those properties for $190 in AF. On the other hand, you get only one night at a more decent property for an effective $150 AF. I personally have two $95 cards (actually one of them is going up to $125 at renewal) and would likely keep both if the Amex (business) is not going up in AF. I am okay with an occasion stay in a Cat 2/3 property for $95, but not $125.

LAX
I think the OP is thinking about in in terms of being able to say book two nights at a hotel that may cost $300 a night - one could be booked with the $50k cert, the other with cash. So it is really two nights annually for $450 annual fee, and the higher cert value and Marriott credit give him more flexibility and access to better hotels

The 35K cert continues to be valuable for Courtyard, Residence Inn, AC, etc in most markets (though it is kind of funny that Moxy properties in many markets went up beyond the 35K value). But a lot of people don’t seem to want to use certs that way