FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Honeymoon Trip
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:05 am
MSYtoJFKagain

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by estnet
Japan has the most amazing luggage transfer system (at a reasonable cost around us $16 for a carry on size). You have your hotel fill out the form (unless you read/write japanese) and they transport (usually overnight) to the next hotel. Usually the hotel will have your luggage in your room when you arrive. If you need an extra day on either end I doubt it would be a problem as long as you notify the involved hotel.
I had heard about the takuhaibin but I was more concerned about a non-full service hotel (Comfort Inn, in this case) holding bags for an extra day.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The Tokyo disney properties can be very expensive ( I love disney and had considered some of the disney properties but they were either sold out or too expensive for my stays). I stayed at the Hilton Tokyo Bay ( very nice hotel) with Celebrio ( ie Executive lounge) access and it is a short walk to Disneyland or the Disney resort line to Disneysea. Views can be of either Disney or Tokyo Bay ( and I was fortunate enough to see Mt Fuji in the distance from the hotel in January and November on past visits and the seawall promeande across the road from the hotel)
You might also be able to see Mt Fuji from the Shnjuku Hilton executive lounge or fronm the observation decks ( ie Tokyo Metropolitan Govt building close to the Hilton)
Regards

TBS
Great advice! So because we're only going to be on property for two nights I wanted to treat her to an upgrade from her usual Disney accommodations. I would have rather done the Tokyo Bay Hilton as I'm pushing to utilize my AMEX Plat status match while we're in Japan. The benefits are easy view of the fireworks and ability to parkhop on the first day. We're planning to get 6pm tickets when we arrive so we can watch the first set of fireworks at Tokyo Disney Sea. She'll go to Disneyland the next day while I head out for a solo day back in time to see the Disneyland fireworks from the hotel, I'll take the next day in the park with her and we'll head out down to Osaka at about 6pm.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not wanting to switch is totally fair enough - it's just that Kyoto's sights are pretty spread out so it might be a bit tough to do multiple daily trips to different sights there from Osaka. I'd probably rather hub in Kyoto than Osaka for that reason alone, as otherwise you'd have to get from Osaka to Kyoto and THEN to the sights.

Just my thoughts. Congratz and enjoy your trip either way!
My main issue with hubbing in Kyoto is there are no Hilton properties there. I'll have gold status with Marriott, who seem to have a bigger Kyoto presence, but that level doesn't really do much. I looked at the Suiran but it's very badly located for getting around and the Ritz is simply out of our budget. We live in NYC so a 30-40 minute train ride home is not unusual at all for us and I'm a bit of train nut anyway. The point is very well taken though. I'm going to start mapping out our travel to some of the sites and see just how bad it is.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Photo from the Celebrio lounge outside terrace

Mt Fuji from the seawall promenade opposite Hilton Tokyo Bay

Mt Fuji from Hilton Tokyo Bay
Wow! That's a beautiful view.