FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loads to Asia ?
Thread: Loads to Asia ?
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:32 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Braniff
Indeed stay safe Brunos. I had planned on the family flying from Paris to Singapore next week and us spending the Paris school holidays there. It is a wonderful place to be with kids. But the news just gets worse and worse. I have a lot of confidence in the Singapore government’s handling of the crisis but community spread is now ongoing... When you mentioned Brunos that you were thinking of leaving HK due to just the impact on your quality of life irrespective of your risk assessment, that really hit home for me and greatly helps me make the judgment not to go.

Air France has not issued any waivers so I am now actually debating whether to use our tickets to Singapore and then buy new tickets from there and visits Australia ! It all sounds crazy !!!
I would certainly not saying that things are getting worse and worse. The media are creating a worldwide panic that is becoming totally ridiculous, like if it was bubonic plague. Yesterday evening, I was in an hotel club lounge in the Middle East for about 90 min. There was a TV with BBC on and during my entire stay it was all and only about the virus and images of healthcare workers wearing NBC-like protecting clothes. Result of this, people are scared. We now have on French TV news some interviews of grandma living in “Trifouilly les oies” (=in the middle of nowhere in France) who is saying she’s very scared to catch the virus and is thinking about buying masks . Regular flu is killing between 500 to 600,000 people every year in the world (source : WHO) without anyone blinking an eye. Ebola : almost 100% mortality rate but did we stopped all flights to Africa ?
Don’t get me wrong, I am certainly not saying that the measures taken to limit the spread are not ustified, they are for sure for most of them, but creating a global fear putting the entire Asian continent under fire is not justified. Personally, I would not hesitate to go to SIN, but It’s always a personal difficult choice of going or not going in that kind of situation and no one has the right to judge.