FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW Airport General Questions [master thread]
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:00 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by 466SHH
South was probably your best option, although DFW traffic can't compare with Austin. Whatever traffic you hit in the Metroplex will probably be between downtown and the Dallas County line. Should ease up considerably once you pass I-20. Then you should have an easy drive until you get close to Austin. BTW, there was construction on I-35 around Waco, I think, when I drove it a few weeks ago.You probably can get updated info from TXDOT, but I'd allow extra time just in case. .

Enjoy your trip. I'm out on QR myself in a couple of weeks.

And thanks for all you do on FT to help others. (I'm one of your fans)
Just to follow-up, I used the South location. For some reason, my car's navigation had me go up the I-35W to get to it. That was during the day, so traffic wasn't too bad (but there was a little right around Ft Worth). I don't remember all of the roads, but it took right around 3 hours from home.
Everyone on the shuttle to the terminal was intrigued when I told the driver I was flying Qatar (and on the ride back). I'd guess the shuttle ride was about 10 minutes.
The drive home was not too good. I have no idea where my navigation had me go, on some toll roads (according to my toll tag history the GW Bush Turnpike), and eventually onto the I-20. Traffic was quite heavy well onto the I-35E South, and then it started raining, and poured quite a bit. The only nice thing was that there was hardly any traffic when I hit the construction in Waco (it was horrible on the drive up).
Lesson learned--the flight up is so much easier! Doing the drive every year or so makes you appreciate the ~30 min flight