FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:35 pm
pgh234

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I agree. I have bid online for dozens of flights and usually nothing happens (they have enough seats at the gate.) But two anecdotes:

1. Had a flight DTW-IAH that I bid online $500. Had a tight connection and boarded near the end / didn't hear the announcements. The GA comes ON BOARD and asks me at my seat if I still want to take a bump. I declined since at that point I was ready to get to Houston. She used a PA on board and got another volunteer!

2. Had a flight MSP-MSN same thing. This time, at the gate, before any announcements, they paged me to ask if I would still take a bump. I declined since the available option at that point was VERY late but I talked another passenger (student) into doing it and explained how it works.

So once in a while, the online list gets used.
I agree. It is very rare though. One time on PHX-ATL (about 3-4 years ago), I put in a bid and I went to the GA at T-1 hr to inquire. She looked at the list and said, "someone has underbid you and we only need one person." I offered to lower my "bid" and she refused to even tell me what the other pax bid. Therefore, now I play the VDB game like the Price-Is-Right. Always bid $1 so that I never have to have that argument again. GA's always chuckle now when they see my bid and say "Honey, I can't give you a $1...how about you take $800?"