FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:34 pm
eeknight

Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight

I am trying to get American Airlines to compensate me for a wallet stolen by a cleaning crew member. I am 100% sure the cleaning crew member stole it - it was left in the seat back pocket, I noticed right away but it was already gone, they tried to make a purchase with my card, the police investigated, and when confronted with the evidence that the attempted purchase matched the name and address of the cleaning crew person, they confessed to the officer on record. I don't want to take something so petty to court but the crew member tossed the wallet and kept the cash, and in my view American should cough up cash compensation for this. Their customer service rep offered me a pathetic $100 voucher and told me to go to court and get the crew member to pay restitution. I am still out the cost of the wallet itself and cash inside, plus the costs I incurred dealing with all this on vacation. If this were baggage and not a carry on item, they would have to give me cash comp, by law (US). I have hit a dead end with their customer service. Is there a way to get them to pay up for my loss? I'm never getting a dime out of the cleaning person and I don't want to go after them - they lost their job over this which is enough punishment, and the cost of going to court in another state where I don't live is greater than the loss and I don't want to ruin their life further, but I am livid with AA and their attitude. Not one of their reps has sincerely apologized much less acknowledge the loss was their fault via their employee they failed to properly screen. Should I give up or is there some other way to escalate this to get a few hundred comp for the wallet and cash?