FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - split PNR or not
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:24 pm
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flylinda
Every year we take the family to Mexico for a vacation. I purchase 7 tickets and understand as a Gold Medallion member up to 8 in my reservation receive my baggage benefits. Does splitting my PNR ( for upgrades)negate this?
Here's the issue. DL agents can waive baggage fees in this situation where you've split a PNR. My guess is that a US-based agent will be more likely to understand how that is done and the circumstances where they can justify the waiver. I would wonder if Mexico-based agents would have the same flexibility. You might find that fees were waived to Mexico, but not waived on the return journey.

So, don't split the PNR - and the computer calculates your baggage fees (zero). No upgrades for you and companion, since more than one companion is in the PNR.

Or, go ahead and split the PNR. Computer calculates baggage fees in each direction. While a US-based agent may choose to waive the fees, I wonder if a Mexico-based agent will. You and one companion are eligible for complimentary upgrades.

That's the choice - perhaps others could offer actual experience in this scenario.