FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award ticket change at the airport?
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:06 pm
view-with-a-room

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by regiobaden
Having a similar problem: Booked an award with a cnx through China. Flights are officially cancelled.
Called Lifemiles asking to be re-routed around China, but they said they can offer a cancellation + refund (because LM rebookings apparently don't allow change of routing, only change of date), which would make it hard to find new award space. Is it possible to be rebooked and rerouted on a different *A airline, even if no award space is available? Is it better to sort this out at the airport, when the operating airline has to get me to my destination?
Rhetorical, but assume nothing. The airline is under no obligation to end the trip if you do not start the trip. And that is why the first airline is thorough with confirming the itinerary and the immigration requirements. On more than one occasion I have arrived at the airport for award travel 3 hour prior to departure and spend the first hour on the phone with the booking airline to address issues with the itinerary. The first airline will not allow you to check in until the issues are addressed. The options are endless after the trip is started; but only after the trip is started. If any part of the itinerary is cancelled you will not be allowed to check in and the airline will tell you to call the booking airline (Lifemiles). The agents cannot help regardless as the airport staff don't deal in award travel.