FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:09 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bravada04
10-4 Thanks. Maybe I was expecting more out of this app? I just thought that I would be able to see/change seats if desired;
If you click the "change" button, it loads the regular website where you can change seats.

do an upgrade if desired;
Nothing native yet, but that "change" button can take you there too.

see the type of plane etc.,
I can see my equipment on almost every segment segment (SA JNB-CPT flight, a few UA SFO<->LAX flights) in all my trips.

It just seems so dull and I guess really allows you to do nothing.I compare it to the UA or DL app and there are so many more options on those to actually manage your bookings / account.It looks like everything needs to be done off the desktop.
Compared to US airlines, it doesn't have nearly as many features. Compared to the rest of the world, it's pretty good. Most of the apps I'm looking at for other Amadeus-based airlines what one might call a "webview app". It's technically an app, but it just loads the website.

For most features right now, AC's app is a "webview app". Anything that's accessed through the "change" button. Or most of the check-in experience.

But it's also a much better platform than the vast majority of non-US airline apps, and certainly better than the previous one.

I can't tell you everything that's coming next. But I do know that more stuff that's currently behind a webview is going to move into a much better native experience.

I have 8 years of full-time experience building mobile apps. The flight pass app excited me, and this app excites me. The old app had no hope of ever gaining useful features with a good user experience. This one does.