FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:29 pm
skelso

Hey all, I had the perfect itinerary booked but my inability to read screwed me. Looking for advice as I scramble to find a solution. For reference, this is all in early October and I'm based out of IAH. Going on vacation to Japan and a wedding in Mexico City. Looking for two seats.

Original trip was:
  • IAH-HND (NH113) in F
  • NRT-MEX (NH180) in J
  • MEX-IAH (cash)
I now have an unavoidable conflict forcing me to start my trip in Mexico, then head to Japan, and then return to Houston. The new SFO-HND NH flight has opened up some additional NH F space so I'm probably going to lean on that.

My current itinerary:
  • IAH-MEX (cash)
  • MEX-NRT (NH179) in Y
  • HND-SFO (NH108) in F
  • SFO-IAH (TBD)
I have J MEX-NRT and J/F HND-IAH alerts set up on ExpertFlyer but from what I've read, ANA doesn't open up much last-minute award space.

Specific questions:
  • MEX-NRT in Y isn't ideal. I can change this to SFO-HND F and reposition to SFO but it's going to add time and burn more cash/points. I guess I can hang out in the SFO Polaris lough. Is adding 9 hours of travel time (5 of that likely in AM Y) worth 11 hours of NH F? (Versus 14.5 hours of NH Y flying direct.)
  • The HND-SFO arrival time (16:20) likely leaves me taking a red-eye back to Houston. Anyone have a better suggestion?
Open to any thoughts here.