FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recent Experience with Air Canada
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:54 pm
yulred

Originally Posted by ramakk
Just wanted to describe a really pathetic experience with Air Canada.
My wife bought a business class ticket issued by Air Canada (ATL-YYZ-BOM-MAA-FRA-ATL) and is on the way to MAA as we speak. ATL-YYZ-BOM on Air Canada planes. BOM-MAA on Air India (AC codeshare) and MAA-FRA-ATL on LH. All on star allance
(1) First Air Canada refused to issue boarding pass for the BOM-MAA segment because they said that it was more than 24 hours after the initial check-in. The layover at BOM was only 7 hours. They also refused to tag the bags all the way to MAA
(2) At BOM AI chose NOT to recognize the flight reservation until my wife talked to 5 different agents. Then only she was issued the boarding pass.
(3) AI flight is delayed by 3 hours. When my wife tried to go to the lounge, she was told that she could enter only 4 hours before departure time. She was there 4 hours before the SCHEDULED departure. So after a 15 hour flight from YYZ to BOM, she cannot even use the lounge.
My points are (1) What is the point of code share if you cannot even tag bags on code share airline or issue boarding pass on a code share and (2) Lounge access being restricted at an alliance lounge when both incoming and outgoing flights are on the same alliance for no fault of the passenger.
On top of all this, when I tried to call AC customer service they only have an announcement saying that they have been overwhelmed with calls because of a new reservation system. They dont respond to tweets and their email response said wait for 3 weeks. Is this how AC treats its premium passengers?
I plan to take our business elsewhere,. Thanks AC

Additional minor point: AC allows access to a lounge in the domestic terminal at Concourse T in Atlanta while their check-in counters and gates are at Concourse F in the International terminal. The two concourses are about 8 stations apart in the underground train. Every other Airline allows access to the lounge in the international terminal except AC.
The long and short of it is that there is a reason the ex-India *A J market generally avoids both AI and AC in favour of LX and LH. When issues happen neither of the former two carriers have a coherent or effective Customer service recovery capability. Its why they are carriers of last resort.

I’ve had similar issues with AC/LH, with LH forcing me to go landside to re-check in at YYZ. Is it an AC or LH issue? I don’t know. I’ll just say that I’ve never experienced this issue on SQ/LH connections, despite the fact that they lose two aren’t in the same type of metal neutral JV.