FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denied at lounge in KUL, despite flying business & OW emerald
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:13 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's a new for me:

Flying JL724 (KUL-NRT) in business and as a OW Emerald, I was handed a Plaza Premium First invitation at check-in. I visited the MH first lounge first, but there was no vegetarian food. Then I went on to use the PP voucher, but was denied entry. According to the reception, pax on JL can visit only 1 lounge in KL and it's either MH, CX or PPF. I get it that JL doesn't want to pay 3 lounge entries per traveller, but that hasn't been told me when entering MH. And besides that, I entered MH first as a Emerald (through BA, which means BA will pay, not JL).

Anyone knows whether an airline can restrict lounge access - even if access is through status with another airline? Even if so, I think the airline should not hand out PP entry vouchers but instead inform pax they could only visit 1 lounge.
With OW lounge access used to be paid by the operating carrier. There has been some hints that this has changed in June last year, QR makes reference to a rule change and started saying QR PC membrrs flying in Y on other OW carriers have limited lounge choice. So I am not entirely sure what they current payment principle is.

In Hong Kong it has kind of been like this for a long while, you get a lounge invitation for the CX lounge, but have to remember to get a stamp for re entry if you want to change lounge. Though sometimes they give you the stamp already on entry.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 30, 2020 at 3:24 pm