FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:45 am
ShopAround

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I’m glad to see you chose Westin Kyoto. I’m heading there for three nights in April on points and then two nights at the RC Kyoto as Titanium. Why didn’t you pick Ritz? I could have got five nights at Kyoto but I just cannot pass Kyoto without staying at the best RC in the world (per flyertalk forum).
There were a few reasons I picked the Westin. The RC is a lot more points and there's no lounge (although it looks like I would get breakfast as a Titanium). I know that shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but particularly when I travel alone, I tend to use hotel lounges most days for a drink, a snack or chatting with other guests. I just spent five nights in Paris at a hotel without a lounge and found I really missed having that option. Also, I'll be there in early September, which will be very hot and humid and I think the Westin, with a shuttle to the train station (and other drop off points) will mean less walking than if I stayed at the RC.

Tokyo I would choose Hilton using points and I’m gold.
I was considering the Hilton but I have no status and booking a room with lounge access was a crazy amount of points and more than I have available, whereas at the Hyatt, I could book a club room for a very good redemption rate.

My entire Japan trip this April is on points, and I’m traveling alone too (a woman)!

I'd love it if you could report back after your trip; since all my hotels are booked with points, I can still change my reservations.