FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DeathStar - the straw that broke the camel's back
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:06 am
nancypants

Programs: QF WP
That does sound excessively poor

clearly I have too much time on my hands tonight but I have worked out that from 16 JQ sectors in the last year I had an average departure delay of 14.68 minutes (range 6 early to 70 late- which was rescheduled in advance FWIW, also a 55 minute delayed departure due to single runway ops in Sydney. 4 flights early departure, 1 “on time”, 11 delayed), average arrival delay of 13.06 minutes (range 24 early to 74 minutes late which was the SYD delayed departure above)

only NTL departure (to OOL) was 15 minutes delayed at either end

Couple of thoughts about this (Primarily relating to my personal JQ routes- almost entirely ex DRW)
1) I suspect Darwin flights in general are relatively less prone to delays given the hours they generally operate (virtually all red eyes, very few daytime flights- reduced congestion, aircraft utilisation etc). We do seem to be relatively more likely to be cancelled although (touch wood) I haven’t had that yet
2) I wonder if they don’t pad their schedules as efficiently as the big sister?
3) not sure what’s the G-O with NTL- any thoughts generally? I appreciate it’s something of a secondary market but so is DRW. I know DRW is handy for east coast curfew busting but not the O&D demand for longer overnight trips from NTL? They also seem to base a lot of cabin crew in/at NTL (based on crew comments only, have no statistics to back that up)

I should of course add the disclaimer that I look at this through the prism of doing a lot of flights on AirNorth who surely have the worst OTP of any australian airline- surely?!

also glad to hear you have AJ a serve- almost surprised to hear he was found on a dash service and with the seat next to him not blocked. I wonder if I can convince them to add “do not seat next to AJ” to my profile without having to take a flight with him. When’s he leaving?!