FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:45 pm
Daitheflu84

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Ok so I'm flying to Hawaii next month I guess. Haven't ever played the upgrade game on the Hawaii routes. How hard are upgrades to Hawaii? Particularly LAX-KOA on a 753 and OGG-SFO on a 738?
I'm a DL Platinum that flew a bit on UA last year on a Premier Gold status match. I flew twice to Hawaii on UA; SEA-SFO-OGG-DEN-SEA and then a one-way SEA-LAX-HNL trip. The OGG trip had a huge upgrade list and I had no chance of clearing a CPU, though I think we booked the trip fairly last minute. On the LAX-HNL trip, my girlfriend and I cleared into first at 48 hours before check-in. It was a very light load on a 753 and they only filled FC at the last minute, presumably with non-revs and buy ups. I know it's not exactly the route you are flying, but based on my experience, Hawaii routes are either packed to the gills and impossible to clear for upgrades, or they're half empty and I clear as soon as I'm eligible (FWIW, this is also my exact same experience with DL Hawaii flights; on SEA-LIH flight had 69 people on a 752 and we had 4 empty seats in FC).