FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Optimal reservation strategy (EE free days) to get the car I want at SAN
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:05 pm
KE81

I was facing a similar scenario not too long ago -- EE, using free days, wanted Premium Elite SUV -- and I think booking a Luxury SUV makes the most sense. My dilemma was between Luxury and Premium SUV (couldn't book Luxury SUV, likely because I was doing a one-way), and I went with Luxury and was offered a Jaguar F-Pace or Cadillac XT5, as those were the only remotely "luxury" options at my location (PVD, if it matters). So I think your odds of getting a Premium Elite SUV will be even better, and I imagine the lot attendants will be flexible, in light of your status and relatively high-end reservation (plus the fact that it's pretty much as cold as it gets in California now, so convertibles not in as high demand), if you decide last minute you would like a convertible.

I do agree though that a convertible doesn't make much sense if you plan on driving through Tahoe.

As for your secondary question, I'd be on the lookout for particular options (moonroof, CarPlay, etc.) since, as has been discussed at length on this forum, lots of cars with luxury nameplates tend to be lightly equipped. All things being equal, an X5 seems like a good combination of fun and utility

Good luck and make sure to report back!