FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:45 am
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Do people just walk up to the gate people ? I have no other reason to talk to them. Do others just go up to them and ask ?
Yes? If you want to maximize your chances.

Note that just because you weren't subsequently paged or asked, doesn't necessarily mean you missed an opportunity -- sometimes they end up not needing people because of no-shows it they're able to make other arrangements etc. Just tonight I had a flight that was soliciting bids at OLCI (and not available for purchase in any class of service), to when I politely asked the GA when the flight opened if they were still overbooked they said no, and they ended up clearing the entire standby list too.

There's a large body of experience collected in the main VDB thread should you be interested in more (there's a quick guide in the wiki, and a link to a post with more detailed how-to advice)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-boarding.html

(Tech note: this post invisible to not logged in)

Last edited by IBxAnders; Jan 29, 2020 at 7:01 pm